NOTW: Icy Snowflakes

This week I was feeling a little festive and I opted for some snowflake nail art. Snowflakes really fascinate me and it is sad to say but I have never seen one in my life. We don't get snow here in Malta and I don't really like travelling to colder climates so I guess I have to stick with seeing snowflakes on TV and in pictures...an end up re-creating them on nails!


This nail art is very easy to achieve, you just need some white acrylic paint and a little water to dilute it with. A small tip when using acrylic paints on nails, always make sure you are wearing a base coat over your nails and always seal with a top coat as otherwise, all you nail art will wear off the first time you wash your hands. Also, if you want to create detailed nail art, you will have to dilute the paint with a little water first.  If anyone wants a more detailed post on how to use acrylic paints in nail art, please let me know in the comments section.

So, let's start the tutorial!

1. Start with a clear base coat to protect the natural nails and paint two coats of a sheer iridescent blue polish such as Catrice Million Styles C06 Godfather Of Pearl. Leave to dry thoroughly and apply some foil adhesive at the very tips of the ring fingers. Allow the glue to go tacky before proceeding.

2. Dab a piece of silver nail foil over the glued areas and gently lift off. This will give the illusion of icicles. When finished, paint on a coat of a silver holographic polish like Catrice Million Styles C08 Have An Ice Day over all the nails.

3. Dilute a little white acrylic paint with water and using a detailing brush draw a snowflake in one corner of the ring finger as shown in the pictures. Move on to draw a small one in the opposite corner and a smaller one next to the big snowflake.

4. When dry, seal everything with a glossy top coat and you're done!


2 comments on "NOTW: Icy Snowflakes"
  1. I love the snowflake design! I prefer stamping though because my freehand skill isn't as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freehand art takes time to master Natalie. try practising on paper first :) I learnt that way and I think I will do a tutorial on basic nail art soon thanks to your comment :)

      Delete