Review: Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base

A little after I started blogging (almost two years ago now), I have discovered a little wonder of the make-up world known as eye shadow primer.  The first one I bought was from e.l.f. cosmetics and soon after the first use, I wondered how on earth did I manage to go all these years of using make-up without applying a primer first! Hence, it comes naturally that I always make sure that I have an eye shadow (and foundation) primer or two in my stash.  In fact, I have another tube from e.l.f. but I still wanted to give the Essence one a go seeing that I am currently obsessed with this brand. 

Let's start by having a look at the packaging first! The product comes in a transparent plastic tube with black writing and a black twist-off cap and a doe foot applicator.  The tube holds 4ml of product and I bought mine for a little over €2.



The product is only available in one shade (skin colour) and has a very thick texture which I personally like as the eye shadows stick better to the eyelids and hence, fallout is minimised.  This primer has no scent whatsoever.  It blends easily and a little goes a long way so there is no need to apply a lot of it on your eyelids. One more point to note is that since it has such a thick texture, I think it will work even for those who have oily eyelids (those who have oily eyelids and have tried this primer, please share your experiences in the comments!).

I like how the primer dries quickly to a nice matte, velvety finish and I like it even better for not having to tug at my eyelids to remove the make-up but everything still stays put until I take it off.  Moreover, the colours are intensified and they don't budge or crease at all! Here is a picture with two eye shadows that normally wouldn't show up without a primer base:

Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base (unblended, left)
Essence African Queen Collection Eyeshadow in Fata Morgana over Eyeshadow Base
Essence Whoom Boom Collection Eyeshadow in You've Got The Art over Eyeshadow Base

Lastly, here is a quick comparison of the Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base vs the E.L.F. Eyelid Primer.  With regards product amount and price, the E.L.F. one is surely the best value for money (€1.70/£1.50 for 4.8ml) but with regards texture, I prefer the Essence one since the Eyelid Primer from E.L.F. is less thick.  They both enhance eyeshadows with respect to colour and staying power but I prefer the Essence Eyeshadow Base just because of the texture. The E.L.F. primer comes in more shade varieties while the Essence one is available in just one shade. For the full review on the e.l.f. Eyelid Primer please click here.

Essence Cosmetics is available in most pharmacies around Malta and Gozo.


6 comments on "Review: Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base"
  1. i love this eyshadow base...i hv one myself been using it for months now, since feb for sure...i go to work u ek...using this base and eyeshadow...sweat and long hrs..the eyeshadow is still there!! its gr8!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY someone reviewed it! going to buy it tomorrow! thanks Lara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish we could get essence in the uk :( looks like a good brand and been meaning to get a primer for ages. oh well i can still get ELF at least :)
    http://lardygrub.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it ;) I have other eyeshadows bases (one of Guerlain, very expensive, don't work) but this one is great and so cheap ;) I'd like to try urban decay primer potion just to compare ;)

    ReplyDelete