NOTW: One Stroke Butterflies in Fall Hues

Happy Sunday everyone! I finally found some time this week to do some more elaborate nail art and I wanted to experiment more with the one stroke nail art technique.  I have been practicing quite a lot with it and decided to give it a go on myself before I try it on clients.  I intend to do a full tutorial on the technique once I start a new series dealing with nail care so let me know what you think and also if you would like me to deal with specific areas of nail care and provide more in-depth posts about the subject(s).

Back to our butterflies before they fly away :P  This is how the final result looks like:


Let's get started with the tutorial!

1. Prep nails with a base coat and paint on two coats of a nail polish if your choice.  Here I used e.l.f. Smoky Brown.

2. Next, decide what colours you want your butterflies to be.  In this tutorial I used acrylic paints as one stroke designs are much easier done with acrylic paint than with polish.  The colours I used for my butterflies are Deep Yellow & Yellow Ochre which turned out to be very similar but I still like the end results.

3. Dip one side of a small bevelled nail art brush in the first colour and the other side in the other colour.  Do a few strokes on the palette/ piece of paper to blend the two colours together and draw a heart shape on the side of your finger nail. These will be butterfly's wings.

4. Outline the wings with black acrylic paint and extend the points to a triangular shape.  You can also add a small curl to the bottom half of your butterfly.  Don't forget to add the butterfly's body!

5. Finish off by adding three small dots on the wing extensions (I used a pearly orange for this step).  Once dry, apply a top coat and you're done!



5 comments on "NOTW: One Stroke Butterflies in Fall Hues"
  1. i love this nail art Lara! It's so pretty and Autumn-y :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mani is soo soo pretty, loved the step by step guide too! xxx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool
    Tweet me! @othersideofcool

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty :) I'd love to try butterflies but I think they'd come out awful!

    I used e.l.f. Smokey Brown today too- it's a great autumnal colour isnt it :)

    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls! Your feedback is much appreciated! Smoky Brown is one of my 'when-in-doubt go-to' colours!

    ReplyDelete