Review | Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer in 303 Apocaliptic

Good morning all :) Today I will be reviewing Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer in 303 Apocalyptic, which I later learnt is the shade Kate Moss is wearing in the product ad.

I'll admit I was immediately intrigued by this product after seeing rave reviews and beautiful swatches of all shades and I was inclined to get Stellar at first but I didn't find it in any of the Rimmel stands I checked out so I opted for Apocaliptic instead.

 
As usual, I'll start with a word about the packaging. To begin with, I have to say I really like the cap on these lip lacquers and I also like the ombre effect they created with the cap starting black and fading all the way down to clear so that you can see the product's actual colouration. The shade name is located just underneath the barcode sticker on the side.  The applicator is a doe foot sponge applicator that's sort of indented at the centre. Rimmel claims this is so that the amount of product applied is controlled. I actually like this kind of applicator but I don't think it made a difference as to how much product I apply.

 
Apocalips have been created to deliver the intensity of a lipstick with the shine of a gloss and I have to say Rimmel have really excelled in this regard so much so that I'd call these liquid lipsticks. Application is really straight forward however I do recommend the use of a matching lip liner before applying this shade as it tends to bleed if applied on its own (a good match is E.L.F. Studio Lip Liner & Blending Brush in Fuchsia). I'd describe the colour as a crème, bright Italian Pink.
 
 
The texture feels very soft at first but as time passes it may feel a little bit drying. The product has a somewhat strange scent that I cannot really explain but it doesn't transfer on the lips. With regards staying power, I cannot say that it lasts all day but it does last a good 4 hours on me. However the thing is that once it starts fading, it only does so in the centre of your lips, leaving you with a bright pink outline on your lips...not good I'm afraid.
 
Just for the fading thing, I would only recommend the lighter colours out of the 8 available shades but other than that, I think Rimmel have done a good job at incorporating a lip gloss and lipstick in one, saving us some space in our tiny clutch bags!
 
Rimmel Apocalips retail for €7.15 for 5.5mL of product from various outlets around Malta & Gozo.

7 comments on "Review | Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer in 303 Apocaliptic"
  1. I have this shade too, and I completely agree with you - it is a fantastic colour and concept, which I don't want to rule out completely, but it is such a shame that it dries out and leaves you with a weird outline on your lips. To be honest I didn't find this very wearable at all. But here's hoping this concept will be expanded on, because in theory it works well :-)

    Lucy from LucyLovesBeauty.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it works best with the lighter shades. It is very bright so it's not really for the faint hearted. worth a try though, like you said, the concept is great!

      Delete
  2. Does it taste weird? Or feel weird on the lips? I have been tempted by the bright red one but not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah no weird tastes or feelings, just the smell that goes away upon application. I think I would wait for them to maybe better the formula before trying a strong hued shade :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know, I shall wait and see :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Lara.
    I really like your blog and it would mean a lot to me if you take a minute and check my blog. Thank you so so much, have a nice day,
    xoxo Nika

    http://makeupbysparkle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nika :) thank you for your comment :) I am now following your blog too...it's always nice to read new blogs :)

      Delete