MFWA 2017 | What goes on Backstage

As a blogger at Malta Fashion Week, I get to see the models walking down the runway in garments by the hands of the very talented designers and immaculate makeup and hairstyles to match. This is only the end product of such a big production as is Malta Fashion Week.

This year, I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to have a look at what goes on backstage before the models hit the catwalk. Moreover, the day assigned to me couldn't have been a better choice - I got to have an exclusive peek at the makeup and hair being done for the shows of some of my favourite designers last Wednesday, namely Gaetano, Ivory & Co., Carla Grima, Desiree and Rosita.


My favorite makeup looks were actually the ones for the Carla Grima show with a natural, glowy look that perfectly complimented the flowy, bright silk kaftans and swimwear. I caught up with the very talented Talitha Dimech who was in charge of doing the makeup for the show and I really enjoyed watching her work her magic on the models. She was assisted by Jeanette Cardona, Karen Decelis, Daniela Zammit and Daniela Cremona who I must say all did a very good job!Lead The lead hairstylist for this show was Dean Gera, assisted by M'Cast Students.

Talitha Dimech applying makeup on of the models




As for hair, my favourites were the regal up 'dos for Ivory & Co. and Gaetano. The hairstylists in charge for these elegant looks were the Artistic Team at Toni & Guy for Ivory & Co. and Matthew and Roderick Castillo for Gaetano. For the Ivory & Co. fashion show, the makeup team consisted of  Elaine Galea (Lead Makeup Artist), Alexia Kind, Ruth Abela, Ruth Marguerat, Marina Muscat, Fabienne Bezzina, Miriam Pace, Marilyn Caruana, Moni Torok, Christina Moncholi and Marilyn Montanaro. As for Gaetano, the makeup team was made up of Marlene Vassallo and her assistants, Amanda Greaves, Henry Galea, Martina Bugeja, Rodianne Caruana, Rebecca Busuttil, Cristina Moncholi and Fabienne Bezzina.








With 5 shows happening on the night, backstage was quite busy. I was told they had to make up 100 models!!! In view of this, I was struck by how professional everyone is as I walked into the backstage rooms with colourful makeup palettes neatly displayed and the smell of hairspray in the air. What would Malta Fashion Week be without these people? Well done and thank you!

Yours truly with Gaetano!




All makeup used was Eva Garden and hair was done using TRESemme professional styling products.
All models' photographs by Kurt Paris, backstage prep pictures by me

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment